Hoverboards are becoming more fashionable by the day because they facilitate movement around the house and offices and during a calm evening stroll.
Hoverboards are easy and convenient to use until they start malfunctioning. For instance, many reports of hoverboards turning off during a ride have been reported.
The event poses the rider with the danger of a crash or being thrown off. So, why does a hoverboard turn off during a ride?
Your hoverboard turns off when you ride it because of a defective battery. Once the battery management system of your hoverboard detects any fault in the battery pack, your device automatically turns itself off. On the bright side, if your hoverboard keeps turning off during a ride, it indicates that your battery management system is functioning correctly.
This article contains all you need to know about a hoverboard that keeps turning off during a ride.
By the end, you will understand why your hoverboard turns off when you ride it and the best way to fix the problem.
Why Does a Hoverboard Abruptly Turn Off?
A faulty battery is the primary reason a hoverboard abruptly turns off during a ride. Also, your device could have a wiring issue or a bad motherboard.
A hoverboard contains a pack of lithium batteries linked together and constitutes the battery management system, also called the battery protection panel.
The battery protection panel ensures that your device’s battery performs within its safety margin.
Because a hoverboard battery that runs outside the safety margin for too long will either expand or cause a fire outbreak at high temperatures.
It would help to know that a lousy lithium battery reaches a high temperature capable of burning down a house and burning cavities in asphalt.
As such, the function of the battery protection panel is crucial in ensuring safety and cutting down potential damage.
Some possible defects in a battery detected by the battery protection panel include the following.
- An imbalance in current flowing in and out of the battery.
- An unsafe state of health of the battery (SOH).
- A battery with higher than the average temperature of your device.
- When the hoverboard carries a low battery state of charge (SOC).
- An imbalance of the battery cells.
How to Fix a Hoverboard That Turns Off When Put On
A defective battery is the most apparent cause of a hoverboard that turns off. And the best way you can fix the problem is by replacing the battery with a new one.
In other situations, it could be a case of a loose connection.
Depending on the model and type of hoverboard you own, there are cases of mass production, and in most situations, there is a lack of quality regulation.
If you are sure the fault is not from the battery, you can call an expert to check out the device for a possible loose connection.
Also, a faulty motherboard could be the cause of the issue. It is always best to replace a damaged motherboard.
If you are going to replace the battery, you must obtain a recommended battery that will serve you better.
Always check the user manual for the recommended battery for your hoverboard model.
How to Replace a Hoverboard Battery
- First, you will have to remove the lower part of the hoverboard.
- Unscrew the fasteners of the lower component of your hoverboard to expose the part housing the battery.
- The battery is held to a frame by four bolts. Unscrew the bolts and let loose the battery.
- Now remove the battery from the plug it is attached to.
- Place the new battery and fasten it back to the frame.
- Cover back the hoverboard’s lower part, and you will be ready.
How Do I Know If My Hoverboard Battery Is Bad?
A bad hoverboard battery is a culprit for most of the problems associated with the device. And one significant way to remedy most problems is by total replacement of the battery.
As such, it would help to know when your hoverboard’s battery becomes faulty and needs replacement.
One of the first things to consider when you want to find out if your hoverboard’s battery is wrong is by charging the battery.
This way, you will be able to determine whether the battery is just dead or completely damaged.
All that is needed is to plug in your hoverboard and watch out for the light indicators.
Follow These Steps:
- First, plug the charger into the electric source before connecting to your device.
- On most models, green is the indicator light for the charger. Once plugged into an electrical source, the charger displays the green light.
- Now, plug the other end of the charger into your device’s charging port.
- On most models, the indicator light of your charger changes to red. However, it would be best if you watched for the blue color.
- At this point, you are sure that your hoverboard is charging.
- Ideally, once your hoverboard’s battery gets fully charged, the indicator light changes from red to green.
- If, after the stipulated time, the light indicator still shows red, then unplug your device and try to start it. If it fails to start, it indicates you have a bad battery.
- Also, if you turn on your device and notice the red light flashing in the middle of your hoverboard, your battery is bad and needs replacement.
How Do You Reset a Hoverboard?
Knowing how to reset your hoverboard is essential because certain situations will require a simple reset to resolve the problem your device is experiencing.
Resetting a hoverboard is straightforward, and you can do it yourself. Follow the steps below to reset or calibrate your hoverboard.
- First of all, turn off your device.
- Now, place the hoverboard on a level surface.
- Press the power button till it starts to beep.
- You will observe the lights on the hoverboard flash.
- Overlook the beeps and light flashes.
- Wait for 10 to 30 seconds for the reset to happen.
- Now, free the power button and ensure to turn the device off.
- Turn the device on, which is how to reset your hoverboard.
You can reset using your smartphone application for persons with a Bluetooth-enabled hoverboard.
Steps to Reset a Hoverboard Using a Smartphone
- First, you will need to install the device application on your smartphone.
- Turn on the Bluetooth and pair the two devices.
- Place the hoverboard on a level surface.
- Navigate through the application and check for the reset or calibrate option.
- Follow the pop-up instructions to reset your hoverboard.
When resetting your hoverboard through your smartphone, you must follow the instructions keenly to avoid destroying the Bluetooth chip.
Once you know the reset, you can test and see to confirm. Take a ride on your hoverboard and observe if there are still any imbalances.
Remember, it is a test ride, so you must wear your helmet and take other safety measures.
In most cases, you will need to replace the gyroscope, but again, you can always call on a professional to check your device out once you are not sure.
Generally, hoverboards come in handy when you want to run regular errands, although not without their share of troubles.
The table below contains some of the advantages and disadvantages of a hoverboard.
|The device offers excellent convenience.||They’ve been at risk of fire accidents.|
|Hoverboards are portable.||There is a significant risk of falling during a ride.|
|The device is generally easy to use.||Some hoverboards have a long charging time.|
|Hoverboards over excellent autonomy.||Some businesses and cities have limited the use of hoverboards.|